Friday, April 27, 2012

Welcome to the world of mobile media!

            In the beginning of this semester I was asked what I would like to write my thesis on. Due to time constraints and indecisiveness I thought I wanted to write my thesis on how social media is used globally for crisis communication. However, a few weeks ago, my PR and New Media class had a Skype class with a former student who now works at a company that develops and creates mobile applications. Ever since that day, my thesis topic changed. I have not stopped thinking about this new phenomenon that everybody loves and is beginning to talk more and more about.
            I have an iPhone, and I would be willing to bet that the majority of people reading this also have an iPhone, an Android, or maybe even an iPad. So you may be thinking, cool, what does that have to do with anything? It has everything to do with everything! The age of the Internet, social media, and technology is changing. According to the article “Web 2.0 Is Over, All Hail the Age of Mobile,” global mobile 3G subscribers are growing at over 35% per year, and with global markets just hitting the trend, there is tremendous room for growth. Already there are 5.6 billion mobile subscribers on our planet. This means that age of mobile media is changing the way people interact with each other, with brands, and with technology as a whole.
Photo credit: http://www.epsilon.com/mobile-media
            While most of the studies on mobile media and the benefits of it are related to business, or sales, I think it is INCREDIBLY important for PR practitioners. The age of mobile media has opened up an entirely new door for PR practitioners to reach its target audience, engage with key publics and build long-lasting relationships with the people who matter the most. So I have a question, how do you think mobile media is going to change the role of PR? And do we like these changes?

All thoughts are welcomed, and encouraged!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment