Monday, April 23, 2012

The Value of a Masters Degree

        As this semester is coming to an end and I find myself trying to complete 14 assignments all at once, I start to reflect on this past year as a public relations graduate student. This past weekend I helped work the Quinnipiac Communications Career Fair. I set up a booth with one of my fellow classmates to speak with undergraduate students about the public relations graduate program. We spoke to a few eager undergrads looking to further their education, but the majority of students skimmed right over our booth. When I finally asked one student why they were not considering a graduate degree she replied "I need experience, not education." This made me think long and hard about the value of a masters degree.
        Yes, while undoubtedly most employers value real-life experience, I must say, the benefits of a masters degree goes beyond the degree itself. While I received my BA in English and not in PR, I think it is important to differentiate between my thought process as an undergrad and as a graduate student. In undergrad classes I learned what to do, in graduate classes I learned WHY we do what we do, and HOW to do it best. In undergrad I believed that simply working hard would suffice. However, this past year has taught me that while working hard and dedication is essential for success, it is also just as important to be educated to the best of my ability.
         I have never thought more strategically and critically than I have this year. I have never wanted to spend my entire night figuring out the best possible plan for a company and the best modes to complete the goals and objectives. I have never had so much work in my entire life, but I have also never been this excited to learn. Being in graduate school has taught me that deadlines need to be met and quality cannot be sacrificed along the way.
         Reflecting on who I am as a student, and as a person, I would say that I am miles away from who I was as an undergraduate and who I am now. So while yes, experience is always a plus, I also think students need to consider that graduate school combines experience AND knowledge. This past year has been demanding, and while it is not over yet, I am 100% confident in my decision to further my education.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the value of a masters degree. ALL thoughts are welcome!!

Bests,
Kyla

3 comments:

  1. With such a competitive job atmoshere, the higher your education the better chance you will have for a job. You may not need a masters to get a job but most jobs will require you to obtain it if you want to continue working there. In other cases the higher your education the higher your pay will be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your input! With all the hard work put forth this year, it is nice to know that others believe in the value of a Masters degree. You're totally right how not all employers require it, but it also can't hurt! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm considering getting an MA in public relations as well. Now that you have graduated do you feel it has helped you find employment?

    ReplyDelete