Thursday, April 26, 2012

Finding your passion

Two weeks ago I attended the QU Media Mashup, where soon-to-be graduates (like myself) had the chance to network and listen to some of the greatest professionals in the field. While I was nervous and excited at the same time, I was astonished by how welcoming the various professionals were.
The event was designed to be two days, where Friday was the career fair and Saturday the students had the chance to sit in on panels, where professionals offered their advice and tips on how to succeed and land a job in the PR industry.

Photo credit: http://draco1976.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/passion.jpg

The advice gained from the panel was more than any book could possibly teach me. Yes, education is key. Yes, reading and keeping updated on the industry is key. And yes, networking is beyond key. I also think listening and digesting the advice offered was the most important key for the entire weekend. The event was two weeks ago, and I have not stopped thinking about what the professionals told me.
The fact that these professionals took the time out of their busy lives to help us is something I will never forget. While I networked with various professionals, it was the effort of one particular professional that has changed me forever. He taught me that while hard work is needed to succeed, passion is what will separate me from the rest.

My fellow teammates and I winning awards at the annual soccer banquet Friday.

 For me, finding my passion wasn’t hard. I have always had a passion for sports and being active (I played five years of Division I soccer, and have been playing since I have been three years old), but this professional taught me that no matter the passion, I need to embrace it, and intertwine that with my work. My passion for soccer has led me to succeed both on and off the field. Being a part of a team has taught me so many valuable lessons that I can bring into any work environment. I am excited to find a job, and I am excited to show my passion for PR, and my passion to succeed.
So thank you to all those professionals who came out that weekend to help us find our passion. I appreciate it more than any blog post could express! Has anyone else had a life changing moment like I experienced? I’d love to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment